In recent years, mergers and acquisitions between corporate entities have increased significantly, especially between companies registered within the EU Directive 2005/56/EC of the European Parliament and the Council 2005/56/EC on cross-border mergers of limited liability companies, which have emerged as an important tool for mergers and acquisitions between companies across the EU, leading to new opportunities and possibilities for the corporate world.
The consolidation of companies can be enforced through various types of mergers and acquisitions, including purchase of assets of one company from another, purchase of common shares, exchange of shares for assets, exchange of shares for shares and management acquisition.
Our firm has been actively involved in mergers and acquisitions of companies and engaged in the preparation, review and completion of mergers and cross-border mergers. Our team has extensive experience in structuring, negotiating and completing mergers, cross-border mergers, acquisitions, and transfers of corporate seats from Cyprus to another jurisdiction and vice versa. In dealing with complex cross border mergers, our firm is able to advise clients regarding finance, tax, competition, data protection and capital markets.
We have recently concluded cross-border mergers between a Cypriot and a Czech private company and the registration of the emerged company to the Registrar of Companies in Cyprus. Our team responsible for the cross-border merger engaged in the drafting, reviewing, advising on the merger, the draft of the common terms of merger, the drafting of all corporate approvals, including the directors’ and shareholders’ resolutions, the drafting of the required Court applications and supporting documentation, their submission and the hearing before the Courts as well as the drafting and submission of all necessary documentation to the Registrar of Companies, including the submission of the Court Order finalising the merger.
Our legal advisors are eager to assist and advise our clients in relation to mergers and acquisitions of companies, offering, amongst others, the following services:
- Restructuring of private companies and groups of companies
- Facilitation of mergers and acquisitions
- Merger review
- Pre-merger due diligence
- Merger control filing and approvals
- Drafting and filing pre-merger and merger notifications
- Legal advice on the relevant provisions of Cypriot and EU law
- Legal advice on transfer of corporate seat of a company from Cyprus to another jurisdiction and vice versa
- Drafting and filing of all required documentation and forms to the Registrar of Companies
- Drafting and filing of necessary petition to the Court requesting the issuance of pre-merger certification and the Order for the finalization of the cross-border merger